Tuesday 14 April 2020

Deadwater 2018 Day 3 - The Wild Boar





I start the day with a short walk to the barn where all the electricals are plugged in and the clothes have been drying over night. My gear is dry and warm but smells heavily of fumes. Lovely.

Mornings on Deadwater are a time I enjoy. There's a real simplicity of breakfast, coffee, changed, packed, feet up then go. It takes a bit to pack things away in the right place, roll things up, put bags around the right things to keep them dry, get some order to your pack and then try it on standing up so you don't get a shock when you set off. There's a nice rhythm to the morning, relaxed, chatty, full of optimism for what lies ahead.

What lies ahead today is Wild Boar Fell and this includes a sizeable chunk of the 44 miles that I've neither run nor reccied before. In fact the start of the stage is the same but quite quickly becomes new territory for me as last year we had a massive diversion due to the weather and that's even before we were ferried around the fell. So plenty of opportunities for errors, lots of time on our feet and some pretty decent climbs in and amongst the trails, fields, tracks and roads.

I've made a decision to try and win every stage mentally in my head now, I think it's possible and it's quite a motivating thought. A little jog together through the early gates and I know it gets twisty from there on in so I can be around a corner and off out of sight before you know it. And so it proves. A couple of minor Nav errors here and there that I have to correct but nothing to worry about. I do keep glancing behind me every now and then to see if there's company approaching but I can't see anything so crack on. Early on there's a mixture of road, trail and fields. One track in particular looks like it's never been run on before with nettles and brambles towering over me. This leads to a field full of cows. Full. I don't like cows. The field is slightly up hill and there's a small plank bridge in the middle over a little stream ditch. I walk slowly through the field and all the cows turn to look at me as I do. Later on Andy will tell me they knew which way the path went because all the cows were all still looking in that direction.

I get a little confused at one point and nearly head off from the side of a river over a bridge and up a road into the distance but after a bit of consulting with the map and trace I go back and find a gate at the side of a house that I'd missed. The feeling of rising panic and subsequent relief gives me a bit of a jolt. Butterflies about what decision to make and then the realisation I've made made the right one makes me smile. It would have been easy to carry on regardless and hope for the best, especially trying to build a lead, but making the right decision is always more important than making a quick one, a lesson I've learned before,

There's a decent section of road then before Wild Boar Fell which is not unpleasant to run on and it's on a stretch that was the same as last year so I can comfortably jog along at a decent pace. After checkpoint 9, which is at the Fat Lamb Inn, it's onto tracks up and over Wild Boar Fell. I've cycled past this before and it looked impressive. It is a pretty straightforward climb, paths obvious and well marked and matching both the map and the trace. There's a short descent and then a climb up a secondary fell before a long descent to Garsdale which seems to take forever. The skies have been clear today, none of the rain and clag of yesterday although there was a little loss of visibility on the very top.

I'm blowing a bit as I start the climb up  The Coal Road so take on more food and drink and get a cheery smile from Richard while topping up my water at the checkpoint in the station car park. I knew I recognised this bit of road - I've cycled up it before on the Etape Du Dales, zig-zagging from side to side due to it's steep and unrelenting nature. I look up and laugh, at least I'm not having to carry my bike up as well. There's a track off to the left after what feels like a lifetime which leads around Great Knoutberry. I'm on familiar ground now as this is Fellsman territory which has become one of my annual races. At checkpoint 11 on the road before the final descent I take on more water and decide to run down to the finish with a spring in my step. I was on part of this section earlier in the year supporting a friend running The Dalesway. Its actually quite a long way from here to the finish although on the map it seems a lot shorter, funny that!

I breathe in and swear I can smell Pot Noodle on the breeze again, just like last year. This is the evening when we get our drop bag of food and I've got two Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodles to feast on and a can of gin and tonic. It was so nice last year that I've doubled the portion - why change it? I've judged my food for the first three days about right. I've got very little left and I had enough choice to keep me eating while I was running. Andy less so as we chat later in the evening. He has run the whole 44 mile stage on half a packet of wine gums. My mouth hangs open while I digest this news as we chat. I say to him that he should have said something. But then would I have known how much I had to share? Half a packet of wine gums. 44 miles. Don't try this at home kids!

I can see what looks like my car parked on the road and make the bird call that's something of a family call sign when out walking. It's returned by Sally and I know she's there waiting to see me. That's also a real boost as she can't do anything apart from wave and cheer but it's lovely to see her and I bound in to camp. Well it feels like bounding anyway!

As we gather for the evening Paul has his drop bag which has dried food in it for the remainder of the race rather than the heavier wet packs he's been carrying which in theory means his pack is now lighter than it has been so far. There's a lot of chat about pack weight and people have various strategies both for saving weight and for dealing with the thought of the weight which is just as important. For some it's important to have the lightest and for others it's to pack what you need and it weighs what it weighs. I'm somewhere in between I think - I'll find the lightest of each item I think I need, decide if I can afford it (usually not) then make a decision and move on. By chipping away at everything I manage to reduce the weight - I even cut the corners off the dried food packs, although this also stops them catching on the fabric in the bag - and then make peace with whatever I have to carry. Then train for it by running with a pack on as the race draws closer.

Another stage win, another 30 minutes added to the lead over Paul which is increasing slowly, Andy has now dropped back a little in third place. The wind has already dried my clothes on the makeshift washing line that's been erected, I'm showered and fed and I get an early night after my gin and tonic. The long day tomorrow.

This camp is at the base of Penygent and the views are lovely, the showers are warm and the food bag is a source of great joy for everyone. For some, however, the thought of the long day - at 61 miles and 9,000 feet of climb - is a sobering one but this is the stage that has got me out of bed every day training. It goes within a mile of my house (as the crow flies) and is a glorious celebration of the best of my home trails. I love it. We all have an earlier start because the stage is longer so it gives everyone a fair chance of finishing before the start of the next stage on day five - which will have a later start time as well. I can't remember who says it to me but apparently everyone thinks Paul will win tomorrow's stage because he's better at the long stuff. That's my motivational self talk sorted then.



No comments:

Post a Comment