Thursday 27 October 2011

Philosophy

I was asked the other day what it was like to live in my world! I've been thinking.

 As a child I read and re-read The Hitchhikers Guide 'trilogy' and followed these with Dirk Gently. Indeed it is hard for me to imagine my view of the world without a quote or aside from Douglas Adams creeping in as a point of reference. Those aware of Douglas Adams may also be aware of the "Total Perspective Vortex" into which Zaphod Beeblebrox was put in order to show him how insignificant he was in the Grand Scheme of Things. While he waits the tortuous screams of previous 'visitors' are played out, reliving the moment when they are confronted with the total enormity of the universe and the opposite miniscularity of their importance within it.

It doesn't work for Zaphod, of course, because the universe he's in has been created for his existence, so all it does is stroke his already inflated sense of self worth.

In my world I am aware of how insignificantly small my part is in the Grand Scheme of Things, a kind of permanent Total Perspective Vortex overview to life - but at the same time I am also aware that I am the most important person in my own universe. Without me in it my actions are not actioned, my thoughts are not thought and my life is unlived. A paradox of importance and insignificance, perfect.

But not as snappy as - No Worries :)

No comments:

Post a Comment